Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Take It Easy

Sometimes we  live life in the fast lane for far too long, pushing forever forward in a struggle to stay at the top of our game. 

We work hard, we play harder and then we forgo our times of relaxation for the former or the latter. 

We don't know how to slow down and then, when we finally reach burnout, we take it out on ourselves in some negative form.

Guilt.
Depression.
Anger.
Frustration.

When we've lived a constant life of "Go Go Go!" our minds forget how to "Stop, Stop, Stop!". Of course, our bodies certainly do. 

I'm currently suffering from a form of this.

I've always been a person constantly stuck in "Drive". If I'm not doing one thing I'm trying to do my best in another. And though this isn't necessarily a bad thing it has got me sick on more than one occasion. And all because I've taken it too far. I've run myself ragged trying to heap on loads of work and not giving myself ample enough time to take care of it all.

And when I take a breather? I guilt myself about it because I feel I haven't gotten enough done.

I haven't gotten the articles done that I've been working on. And I'm so very annoyed at myself because of this.

But, as with almost all creative talents, I have to remember that the more I push myself the more I'll bog myself down. I can't just say "Okay, creativity! Get going! We gotta do this thing!" because I haven't trained myself that well yet. 

I hope that one day I will be, but until then I need to remember to take my down time for what it is. And I can't place excess pressure on myself without feeling the repercussions. I need to learn to take it easy.

Forgiveness in myself is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment